2020 Jayco Northpoint 5th Wheel
Ultra Heavy-Duty Power System for Off-grid Family Fifth Wheel
Major off-grid power for a family of four doing long, unplugged stays in their large fifth wheel (50-amp service)
- 50-amp service
- Conventional 200 Ah lead-acid (AGM) battery bank
- No generator and no inverter for off-grid AC power
What We Did
- Designed a system for the large front bay, keeping room for a small back-up generator and existing hydraulics
- Built a battery rack using extruded 2020 aluminum for the 3x 24-volt, 200-Ah server rack batteries and a bay expandible to 5; current configuration is for 14.4 kwhs of battery storage!
- Built a battery rack suing extruded 2020 aluminum for the three, 24 volt, 200ah, server rack batteries. Bay is expandible to five. Current configuration is for 14.4 kwhs of battery storage!
- Installed smart phase selector to allow full use of existing 50-amp power panel as well as a built-in surge protector
- Roof PV is two banks feeding into two separate charge controllers; 1530 watts with room for more
- Went with large Victron Quattro inverter and Victron Orion-Tr alt chargers in dual configuration for max charging of the giant battery bank
- Final touch is a Cerbo GX unit connected to the Touch 50 screen for real-time power readout inside the living area
Victron Quattro 5000-watt inverter, 2x Victron MPPT charge controllers, new Powa panels, 3 x EG4 24v 200 Ah, server rack, LiFeP04 batteries; Victron dual Orion alt chargers, Smart Phase selector and Touch 50 readout display